Tours, Visitor Center and Giftshop
Tour Coming to Ballintubber Abbey
- Come visit us here at Ballintubber Abbey, visit the Abbey and learn the history of how the Royal Abbey came to be.
- Founded in 1216 by Cathal Crovderg O’Connor, King of Connaught.
- Among the medieval religious foundations who ruins dot the Irish countryside, the Abbey is unique.
- This remarkable Abbey is the only church in Ireland where for over 800 years, Mass was celebrated here, even when the Abbey was reduced to its bear stone walls.
- Experience for yourself the story of “the Abbey that refused to die,” Our video and guides will take your through the stories of Cromwellian burning’s, suppression, and the notorious priest hunter, Seán na Sagart.
- Spend time to savor the atmosphere of quiet contemplation in the grounds, incorporating strands of Celtic Spirituality and participate in the experience of pilgrimage on Tóchar Phádraig.
- Find out how the Abbey was mistakenly build in a different location.
- Hear the story of Sean na Segart the notorious Mayo native priest hunter who is buried on the grounds of the Abbey.
- Find out how the Abbey survived and was restored following two devastating fires.
- Visit the tomb of Theobald Bourke, son of Grace O’Malley who’s remains are buried in a tomb at Ballintubber Abbey.
- See how the Abbey has now become a destination for many weddings including celebrities such as 007’s Pierce Brosnan, Westlife’s Shane Filan and Jean Butler from Riverdance.
The stories, as told by the guide make the events and happenings associated with Ballintubber Abbey since the time of St Patrick’s visit, come alive.
Known as the Royal Abbey “The Abbey that refused to die”
Open all year, Admission Free.
Guided Tours Available Daily – €8 per person, Kids Under 16yrs Free
Gift Shop and Visitor Center Open Daily
094 90 30934