Hear the history of the Abbey from a guide, exhibition or video
Its history is best summed up in the appellation “The Abbey that refused to die”.
Built in 1216AD. by King Cathal O’Connor, it served the pilgrims for 300 years until it was destroyed by Cromwell’s Army. However, Mass continued to be celebrated in the unroofed Abbey for the next 250 years in spite of Penal Laws and Famine. Restoration, begun in 1846, has been ongoing. It is hoped that further restoration will be carried out for the Octo-Centenary Celebrations next year.