Booking the Abbey
- To reserve Ballintubber Abbey for your marriage it is necessary to come to or make contact with Ballintubber Abbey Office (located at the Celtic Furrow Complex, on the main N84 road, Ballintubber)
- Bookings are on a first come first served basis.
- The priest or secretary will discuss possible dates with you and ‘pencil in’ your preferred date and time. Please note however that your date can only be confirmed when the brides priest states that the couple are free to marry.
- Couples (outside of Ballintubber) must bring their own priest to officiate at the ceremony.
- If the date is later changed or the wedding cancelled please make contact with us and have the booking cancelled. We also request that you put this in writing.
- Sometimes a number of dates may be ‘pencilled in’ for couples to allow them to liaise with hotels etc. – when a final date is chosen please ensure that any other dates discussed are erased from our diary and left free for other couples.
- Pre-Marriage Course
- Each couple must do a pre-marriage course
- It is recommended that you book a course at least six months before the date of the wedding.
The Civil Registrar
Marriage Notification and the Marriage Registration Form (MRF)All couples must now present in person to a Registrar to give their three months’ notice. As registration districts are being abolished, they may do so at any office in the country, not necessarily in the area where they intend getting married. To ensure an orderly and efficient service an appointments system must operate in all Registration Offices in respect of notifications. All the information made available to couples intending to marry will emphasise that they must, as a first step, contact a Registration Office to make an appointment to give their three month’s notification of intention to marry.