After the pilgrimages to Jerusalem ceased in the C13th due
to the taking over of the Holy Places by the Saracens, the
pilgrimages to Croagh Patrick became even more important.
When Ballintubber Abbey was built in 1216 a hostel was also
put in place to cater for the many pilgrims. This hostel,
the remains of which can be seen today in the grounds, incorporated
a place for both ritual washing and actual cleansing. It is
called Danchara or the 'Bath of the righteous'.
After 1588 it went into decline as a public road and in Penal
times it ceased to be used as a pilgrim path. In 1987 it was
restored and every year hundreds of pilgrims walk Tóchar
Phádraig on pilgrimage - a distance of 22 miles.